WasteSmart.org is a social initiative that is dedicated to inspiring, publicizing and indigenously maximizing next generation green solutions that transform wastes into opportunities for growth and development in Nigeria.
Ours is an evolving platform that attracts the young at heart and environment enthusiasts who share a common goal of improving man’s quality of life and protecting the natural environment by robustly pursuing the institutionalization of new standards and global best practices in environmental management in Nigeria.
We are a non-governmental, non-religious, non-political innovation instigator and social change driver.
1. To be Nigeria’s leading website and one-stop shop for up-to-date information on food security and food waste prevention, humanitarian initiatives, waste and environmental management, and youth engagement in the next ten years.
2. To collaborate with stakeholders to enhance food security, achieve steady reductions in food waste, combat chronic hunger and ensure that excess foods that would otherwise have been wasted are properly channeled to people in dire need and the most vulnerable segments of the Nigerian society.
3. To establish a self sustaining humanitarian Neighbourhood Food Centre, NFC in every state in Nigeria that is readily accessible to the public in cases of emergencies as short-term alternatives for orphanages, IDPs, prisons and ultra vulnerable senior citizens through a coordinated series of coordinated sub-programmes.
4. To collaborate with relevant bodies to improve waste management, wastewater treatment, pollution prevention and control, land management, adaptive remediation measures and environmental awareness across various sectors in Nigeria.
5. To champion the passage and full implementation of the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) policy as well as other relevant environmental policies that enhance product efficiency, process improvement, optimum resources utilization and sustainable development in Nigeria
6. To build youth capacity, raise public awareness on environmental issues and link qualified youths with opportunities for environment-related jobs, scholarships, grants, internships, seminars and conferences
7. To pursue the establishment of an online and accessible national waste register and Nigeria’s first online waste open market.
8. To facilitate and propagate emerging and existing efficient recycling/waste-to-wealth technologies, including on portable composting and biogas plants to all homes in Nigeria, including in rural areas for efficient biofuel and biofertilizer production.
9. To support research, publicise scientific and technological breakthroughs in environmental management and climate change mitigation, and adeptly tell the amazing stories of youths, indigenous and international organizations in Nigeria whose pace setting works positively bear on the environment.
10. To bring regulators such as NESREA (Nigeria’s top environmental watchdog), NOSDRA, SON, SEPAs etc. closer to the regulated communities and the public, and steadily increase citizens’ participation in environmental governance and ensure a healthier environment for all in Nigeria.