Deadline: May 1, 2017 11:59 PM CET.
PhD scholarship in host-microbiome interactions focusing on bioinformatic analysis of early life microbiome
- A 3-year PhD position is available at the Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. The start date is June 1, 2017 or soon thereafter. This PhD scholarship position will be associated to a large research project on the early life microbiome in humans. The project is part of the Copenhagen Prospective Study of Asthma in Childhood (COPSAC) and aim to characterize the human microbiome in early life and elucidate any correlations with development of disease later in life.
Immune diseases such as asthma, allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, and type 1 diabetes have shown a parallel increase in prevalence during recent decades in westernized countries. As part of the departments work the COPSAC2010 unselected birth cohort we will investigate which role the early life microbiota has in development of such diseases. The main tasks in this project will be analysis of host-microbiome interactions, including metagenome sequencing data analysis and integration of data from clinical examinations of the COPSAC2010 cohort.
The position is for 3 years, and is funded by the Lundbeck Foundation. The project will be carried out at Section of Microbiology, Department of Biology and the COPSAC Center, Herlev and Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen.
We are looking for a motivated bioinformatics researcher with experience in analysis of microbial metagenomic data and/or host-microbiome interactions and with the following qualifications:
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in Bioinformatics or similar.
- Experience with analysis of large metagenomic data sets (i.e. metagenome analyses, comparative analyses of host-microbiome interactions, sequence assembly).
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX systems. Hereunder, familiarity with programming languages such as Java/C/C++ and script writing such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Fluency in English.
- You will be able to engage in teamwork within the group and our collaborators.
- Experience in applied research projects related to biotechnology
The application must contain:
- A letter of motivation for the application with statement of research interests (max 1 page)
- A curriculum vitae (max 2 pages)
- List of publications (if applicable)
- Copy of Bachelor and Masters Diplomas and transcripts – other relevant certificates, including grades
- A short abstract of the M.Sc. thesis or equivalent
- Contact details of at least two persons for references
Procedures and shortlisting
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert assessment committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant himself/herself.
The final selection of successful candidates will be made by the Head of Department, based on the recommendations of the assessment committee. Successful candidates will then be requested to formally apply for enrolment as a PhD student at the PhD school of the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen. For more information see: http://www.science.ku.dk/english/research/phd
ALSO SEE: Apply: OFID Scholarship Award (Application Open)
Terms of salary and employment
Terms of appointment and payment are in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Federation of Professional Associations (AC). The starting annual salary for candidates with an MSc degree will be a minimum of DKK 309.109 (April 2016 level) plus pension contribution, with the possibility for salary negotiation.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Please forward your application via the job portal of The University of Copenhagen at Job Portal. Press “APPLY NOW” to fill in the application form.
Applications received after the deadline or with insufficient documentation or otherwise not complying with the above requirements may not be considered. It is expected that the successful candidate will be enrolled at the PhD School of Science no later than June 1, 2017.
For further information on the project contact Professor Søren J. Sørensen, email@example.com . **Please do not post your application to this address**
(APPLY NOW) SØG STILLINGEN
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Ansættelsesform: Tidsbegrænset periode
Afdeling/Sted: Department of Biology
Should you have any question about the scholarship and other opportunities featured on this website or should you need assistance at anytime in your application, please, do not hesitate to write to us via this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will get back to you in the shortest possible time. Be assured of our full commitment. We are always glad to assist you make your dream (of developing into an effective, world-class environmental management professional) come true.