Deadlines: April 1 and October 1 (annually)
Type: Research Grant, Study Grant (Post-Doc)
Organization: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Areas: Gender; Soil science; Water management; Ecology; Biodiversity; Climate change
Upcoming application deadlines: 1 April and 1 October 2017. Applications to the April 2017 round are now open! For more information on how and where to apply, click here.
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) provides fully-funded postdoctoral research grants in the environmental fields, including ecosystem services and management, risk and resilience.
As a IIASA scholar, You are expected to conduct your own research in collaboration with one or more IIASA’s research programmes or special projects in an interdisciplinary way. You will be a part of the IIASA’s worldwide network of collaborators.
An internationally competitive fellowship includes monthly allowance, allowance for relocation expenses to and from Laxenburg (Austria) and limited support for monthly business travel.
The Postdoctoral Program at IIASA offers fully funded research positions of up to two years to study topics related to the IIASA research agenda.
The duration of the fellowship is two years starting between October and January each year.
- Candidates should have their PhD at the time of taking up the appointment and are expected to have a proven record of research accomplishments, and a solid working knowledge of English
- Candidates should have held their PhD for less than five years at the application deadline, (However, eligibility is extended under the following circumstances).
- The fellowship requires you to be present at IIASA (The typical period for IIASA-funded postdoctoral support is 12-24 months). Please do not apply if you need to be away from the institute to do your research or expect IIASA to fund field research overseas
- Preference will be given to applicants who are nationals of countries where IIASA has a National Member Organization
- IIASA does not do lab-type research and therefore has no labs
In addition to the IIASA-funded postdoctoral fellowships, there are a number of IIASA fellowships funded by our National Member Organizations. If you are a national of a country indicated below, click on the country name for more information.
the Middle East
|The Americas||Asia Pacific||Europe|
There are currently nine IIASA research programs carrying out research into the dynamics of global change. These programs use holistic approaches and effective, interdisciplinary collaborations to identify the multiple solutions needed to bring about a global transformation to true sustainability including:
Advanced Systems Analysis, Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases, Ecosystems Services and Management, Energy, Evolution and Ecology, Risk and Resilience, Transitions to New Technologies, Water, World Population
Once you have formulated a proposal we encourage you to contact the relevant program representatives. We suggest to look at the PDF of the application form, frame the proposed according to the questions there, and then send an introductory e-mail. This is vital, not only to discuss research ideas and ascertain their relevance to IIASA but also to ensure more realistic research plans and expectations on the part of both IIASA and the applicant.
Upcoming application deadlines: 1 April and 1 October 2017. Applications to the April 2017 round are now open!
To apply click here. You can exit and return to the form by clicking “resume later”. To resume, use the link provided in the first registration email sent to you. Please note that any uploaded documents must be in .pdf format. Click the “submit” button once everything has been filled out and uploaded. You will be notified as to whether your application has been successful no later than two months after the application deadline.
Once you have submitted your application we will contact your two referees via the email addresses provided by you. We recommend you contact your referees well in advance so they know they will receive an email from us. You will be notified by the system once your referee has submitted his/her letter of reference.
The fellowships, which are up to two years in duration, are the result of a competitive process and carry special recognition both within and outside the institute. The following criteria are taken into account:
- Quality of the research
- Novelty of the research
- Candidate’s merits
- Cross-cutting potential
Accepted candidates are offered
- An allowance for relocation expenses to and from Laxenburg;
- limited support for monthly business travel;
- a scholarship that is internationally competitive (~ 39,000 EUR p.a.). It is exempt from taxation in Austria, but subject to the principle of income aggregation;
- All appointees are eligible for either state or private health insurance.
All information submitted will be held in strict confidence.
For more information, click here.
Or contact: email@example.com
Do you like this story?
Or do you have some exciting environment-related news or scholarships opportunities to share with Nigerian youths?
You are in the right place. We are always glad to hear from you.
Write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org,