Deadline: January 31, 2017
Reference: (Ref. ZAP-2016-118)
Location: KU Leuven
At the Science, Engineering & Technology Group of the KU Leuven, there is a full-time academic vacancy in the Faculty Engineering Technology, Department of Materials Engineering, Campus Group T at KU Leuven in the area of sustainable materials recovery and valorisation. We are looking for internationally oriented candidates with an excellent research record and with educational competence within the field of chemistry, environmental technology and sustainability of industrial processes.
25 2021 Sustainable Materials Recovery and Valorisation
The Research group Sustainable Engineering based at the Campus Group T in Leuven is embedded within the Faculty of Engineering Technology. In the past, this faculty has systematically been given a high ranking for research and education quality by independent accreditation committees. The faculty has an extensive national and international network, both in the academic and business world.
The research group can build upon a solid research infrastructure, an extensive international network, connections with companies and non-profit organisations, a stable offer of highly talented PhD students and a supportive work environment.
How can we continue fulfilling the needs of the current generation without compromising the needs of future generations? At Campus Group T, the 20 researchers of the Sustainable Engineering Group – together covering all fields of engineering – work at answering this question in 3 research groups. The aimed research is embedded in the In the Life Cycle Engineering group, where researchers apply methodologies such eco-design, life cycle analysis and rational energy to increase the sustainability of industrial processes and products.
- You develop a research programme at an international level in the field of sustainable materials recovery and valorisation with emphasis on thermal processes. Possible research topics are reuse and valorisation of residues from thermal waste treatment processes and sustainable materials management in waste-to-energy systems.
- You have a thorough knowledge of lifecycle analysis (LCA) and can apply it to the processes aimed in your research The aimed research entails experimental research on inorganic material streams for which you have access to analytical equipment.
- You are expected to extend test facilities specific for the aimed research.
- Your research provides complementary expertise in the existing research lines “High temperature Processes and industrial Ecology” and “Sustainability Assessment of Material Life Cycles”.
- You set up collaborations within and outside the TC Materials Technology of the Department of Materials Engineering.
- You support and further expand research collaborations with several national and international academic and industrial (particularly with SMEs) partners, in order to achieve industrial innovation and scientific output that adheres to the highest international standards.
- You are capable of acquiring competitive funding.
- You strive for excellence in your research and thus provide a contribution to the continued development of the research group.
- You publish at the highest scientific level with emphasis on professional and technical journals, acquire resources for applied research, develop international collaborations and supervise master theses and PhD students.
- You give the necessary attention to valorisation of your research results towards industry and government.
- You ensure high-quality education in the field of chemistry, environmental technology and sustainability of industrial processes in the Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering Technology – Chemistry of the Faculty of Engineering Technology, with a clear commitment to the quality of the programme as a whole.
- You also contribute to the pedagogic project of the faculty/university through the supervision of master theses and as a supervisor of PhD students.
- You develop teaching in accordance with KU Leuven’s vision on activating and researched-based education and make use of the possibilities for the educationalist professionalization offered by the faculty and the university.
- Your teaching duties are determined in consultation and based on your specific profile. The Faculty of Engineering Technology values a good balance between research and teaching duties.
- You take up your main teaching duties at Campus Group T Leuven.
You are prepared to provide scientific, social and internal services.
You are willing to perform applied research projects in collaboration with industry and government and to establish a network of industrial partners.
You are actively involved in promoting the Faculty of Engineering Technology to future students and participate in information and public relation activities of the faculty.
- You have a PhD or doctoral degree in chemical engineering on a subject related to sustainability of industrial processes.
- You have industrial experience in the sector of materials technology or a closely related sector, preferably in an international context.
- Having an extended network in relevant industrial sectors such as the waste treatment sector is an important advantage.
- You have a strong (applied) research profile. The quality of your research is evidenced by publications in leading international journals, books and proceedings of international conferences, as well as successful project applications and valorisation in cooperation with industry. International experience is an advantage.
- You have demonstrable qualities related to academic education. Teaching experience is an advantage.
- You possess organisational skills and have a cooperative attitude. You also possess leadership capacities within a university context.
- The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings. Before teaching courses in Dutch or English, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch resp. English to the required standard.
We are offering full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. It is highly inter- and multidisciplinary focused and strives for international excellence. In this regard, it actively works together with research partners in Belgium and abroad. It provides its students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.
You will work at the Campus Group T in Leuven, a historic, dynamic and lively city located in the heart of Belgium, within 20 minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor. In principle, junior researchers are appointed as assistant professor on the tenure track for a period of 5 years; after this period and a positive evaluation, they are permanently appointed (or tenured) as an associate professor.
For more information on the contents of the job, please contact Prof. dr. ir. Martine Wevers, departmental chair Materials Engineering (email@example.com, +32-16-321303) or Prof. dr. ir. Koen Eneman, campus chair Campus Group T Leuven (firstname.lastname@example.org, +32-16-301065)
You can submit your application until 31/01/2017, only through our online application system. If you have problems submitting your application online, please contact email@example.com.
Please add a research statement (no more than 2 pages), demonstrating your added value for the research programme, to your motivation letter. In addition, please outline your vision of academic education in a teaching statement (no more than 2 pages).
You can apply for this job no later than January 31, 2017 via the online application tool
Downloads : pdf